Main Article Content
Tracheal rupture is a rare but serious complication after endotracheal intubation.
We report the case of an 85-years-old female patient presenting a massive skin emphysema after endotracheal emergency intubation. A CT-scan of the thorax showed a massive mediastinal emphysema and a dislocated tube cuff in the pleural cavity. The implemented bronchoscopy also showed the suspicion for tracheal rupture.
A double-lumen-tube-intubation failed due to a trapped tube cuff, which could not be extracted. In the following emergency surgery, the transthoracic intubation of the left main bronchus was the lifesaving procedure. Afterwards a successful tracheal reconstruction was made.
When tracheal rupture occurs early detection and an accurate treatment is necessary.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Borasio P, Ardissone F, Chiampo G. Post-intubation tracheal rupture. A report on ten cases. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1997;12(1):98-100.
3. Spaggiari L, Rusca M, Carbognani P, Solli P. Tracheobronchial laceration after double-lumen intubation for thoracic procedures. Ann Thorac Surg. 1998;65(6):1837-1839.
4. Lim H, Kim JH, Kim D, Lee J, Son JS, Kim DC, Ko S. Tracheal rupture after endotracheal intubation—a report of three cases. Korean J Anesthesiol. 2012;62(3):277–280.
5. Xu X, Xing N, Chang Y, et al. Tracheal rupture related to endotracheal intubation after thyroid surgery: a case report and systematic review. Int Wound J. 2016;13(2):268-271.
6. Paraschiv M. Iatrogenic tracheobronchial rupture. J Med Life. 2014;7(3): 343–348.
7. Conti M, Pougeoise M, Wurtz A, et al. Management of postintubation tracheobronchial ruptures. Chest. 2006;130(2):412-418.
8. Marty-Ané CH, Picard E, Jonquet O, Mary H. Membranous tracheal rupture after endotracheal intubation. Ann Thorac Surg. 1995;60(5):1367-1371.
9. Miñambres E, Burón J, Ballesteros MA, Llorca J, Muñoz P, González-Castro A. Tracheal rupture after endotracheal intubation: a literature systematic review. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2009;35(6):1056-62
10. Deja M, Menk M, Heidenhain C, et al. Strategies for diagnosis and treatment of iatrogenic tracheal ruptures. Minerva Anestesiol. 2011;77(12):1155-1166.
11. Kaloud H, Smolle-Juettner FM, Prause G, List WF. Iatrogenic ruptures of the tracheobronchial tree. Chest. 1997;112(3):774-778.
12. Rupprecht H, Rümenapf G, Petermann H, Günther K. Transthoracic bronchial intubation in a case of main bronchus disruption. J Trauma 1996;41(5):895-897.
13. Chen EH, Logman ZM, Glass PS, Bilfinger TV. A case of tracheal injury after emergent endotracheal intubation: a review of the literature and causalities. Anesth Analg. 2001;93(5):1270-1271.
14. Wagner A, Roeggla M, Hirschl MM, Roeggla G, Schreiber W, Stert F. Tracheal rupture after emergency intubation during cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Resuscitation. 1995;30(3):263-266.
15. Lampl I. Taracheobronchial injuries: Conservative treatment. Interact Cardio Vasc Thorac Surg. 2004;3(2):401-405
16. Schultz SC, Hammon JW, Turner CS, McGuirt WF, Nelson JM. Surgical management and follow-up of a complex tracheobronchial injury. Ann Thorac Surg. 1999;67:834-836
17. Elicora A, Akgül AG, Topcu S, Özbay S, Hosten T, Sezer HF, Elicora SS. Management of post-intubation tracheal membrane ruptures. Arch Iran Med. 2016;19(7):491-495.
18. Medina CR, Camargo J, Felicitti JC, Machuca TN, de Moraes Gomes B, Melo IA. Post-intubation tracheal injury: report of three cases and literature review. J Bras Pneumol. 2009;35(8):809-813
19. Hofmann HS, Rettig G, Radke J, Neef H, Silber RE. Iatrogenic ruptures of the tracheobronchial tree. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2002;21(4):649-652.
20. Massard G, Rouge C, Dabbagh A et al. Tracheobronchial lacerations after intubation and tracheotomy. Ann Thorac Surg. 1996;61(5):1483-1487.
21. Gabor S, Renner H, Pinter H, Sankin O, Maier A, Tomaselli F, Smolle FM. Indications for surgery in tracheobronchial ruptures. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2001;20(2):399-404.
22. Wallet F, Schoeffler M, Duperret S, Robert MO, Workineh S, Viale JP. Management of low tracheal rupture in patients requiring mechanical ventilation for acute respiratory distress syndrome. Anaesthesiology 2008; 108(1):59-62
23. Rupprecht H, Gaab K. Tension pneumopericardium in a multiply injured child. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2017 Sep-Oct;25(7-8):550-552