Main Article Content
Bladder cancer is a disease of people around the 60ies. Hhere we describe a large series of bladder cancers in patients under 40 years. Only patients treated in france were taken into consideration
Materials and Methods
This retrospective study includes 156 patients treated between 1992 and 2013 with less than 40 years at the time of diagnosis. Tumours were classified according to the 8th TNM edition and WHO 2016 edition.
156 patients were included. Hundred fourty-four were urolthelial carcinomas, 12 had other patterns. PUNLMP was a frequent finding (28%), 128 had non muscle invasive tumours. Fourteen patients displayed lymphnode metastasis, 10 had distant metastasis. Thirty seven patients displayed recurrence and 12 patients died of disease.
ConclusionPUNLMP is a frequent finding in young patients under 40 with bladder cancer. Nevertheless muscle invasive bladder cancer is also present and often a very aggressive disease. Patients should be treated according to the guidelines.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
1. Sampson JN, Wheeler WA, Yeager M, Panagiotou O, Wang Z, Berndt SI et al. Analysis of Heritability and Shared Heritability Based on Genome-Wide Association Studies for Thirteen Cancer Types. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015 Oct 12;107(12)
2. Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, Ward E. Cancer statistics, 2010. CA Cancer J Clin. 2011 Mar-Apr;61(2):133-4
3. Eble JN, Sauter G, Epstein JI, Sesterhenn IA. World Health Organization Classification of Tumours. Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs. Lyon, France: IARC Press; 2004.
4. Paner GP, Zehnder P, Amin AM, Husain AN, Desai MM. Urothelial neoplasms of the urinary bladder occurring in young adult and pediatric patients: a comprehensive review of literature with implications for patient management. Adv Anat Pathol. 2011 Jan;18(1):79-89
5. Caione P, Patruno G, Vincenzo Pagliarulo V, Bulotta AL, Salerno A, Diomedi Camassei F, Lastilla G, Gerocarni Nappo S Nonmuscular Invasive Urothelial Carcinoma of the Bladder in Pediatric and Young Adult Patients: Age-Related Outcomes Urology 99, 215-220. 2016 Jul 19.
6. Grapin-Dagorno C, Peycelon M, Philippe-Chomette P, Berrebi D, El Ghoneimi A, Orbach D. Urothelial tumors in children. Bull Cancer. 2016 Dec
7. Yossepowitch O, Dalbagni G. Transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder in young adults: presentation, natural history and outcome. J Urol. 2002 Jul;168(1):61-6
8. Giedl J, Wild PJ, Stoehr R, Junker K, Boehm S, van Oers JM, Zwarthoff EC, Blaszyk H, Fine SW, Humphrey PA, Dehner LP, Amin MB, Epstein JI, Hartmann A. Urothelial neoplasms in individuals younger than 20 years show very few genetic alterations and have a favourable clinical outcome.Verh Dtsch Ges Pathol. 2006;90:253-63
9. Fine SW, Humphrey PA, Dehner LP, Amin MB, Epstein JI. Urothelial neoplasms in patients 20 years or younger: a clinicopathological analysis using the world health organization 2004 bladder consensus classification. J Urol. 2005 Nov;174(5):1976-80
10. Alanee S, Shukla AR. Bladder malignancies in children aged <18 years: results from the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results database. BJU Int. 2010 Aug;106(4):557-60.
11. Erözenci A, Ataus S, Pekyalçin A, Kural A, Talat Z, Solok V. Transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder in patients under 40 years of age. Int Urol Nephrol. 1994;26(2):179-82.
12. James D. Brierley, Mary K. Gospodarowicz, Christian Wittekind. TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours, 8th Edition. December 2016. Wiley-Blackwell.
13. Moch H, Humphrey PA, Ulbright TM, Reuter V. WHO Classification of Tumours of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2016.
14. Compérat E, Larré S, Roupret M, Neuzillet Y, Pignot G, Quintens H, Houéde N, Roy C, Durand X, Varinot J, Vordos D, Rouanne M, Bakhri MA, Bertrand P, Jeglinschi SC, Cussenot O, Soulié M, Pfister C. Clinicopathological characteristics of urothelial bladder cancer in patients less than 40 years old. Virchows Arch. 2015 May;466(5):589-94.
15. Kontani K1, Kawakami M, Nakajima T, Katsuyama T. Tobacco use and occupational exposure to carcinogens, but not N-acetyltransferase 2 genotypes are major risk factors for bladder cancer in the Japanese. Urol Res. 2001 Jun;29(3):199-204
16. van Rhijn BW1, Liu L, Vis AN, Bostrom PJ, Zuiverloon TC, Fleshner NE, van der Aa MN, Alkhateeb SS, Bangma CH, Jewett MA, Zwarthoff EC, Bapat B, van der Kwast TH, Zlotta AR).Prognostic value of molecular markers, sub-stage and European Organisation for the Research and Treatment of Cancer risk scores in primary T1 bladder cancer. BJU Int. 2012 Oct;110(8):1169-76.
17. Wang QH, Ji ZG, Li HZ, Fan H, Chen ZG, Shi BB, Fang Y. Clinicopathologic Comparison of Urothelial Bladder Carcinoma in Young and Elder Patients. Pathol Oncol Res. 2016 Jan;22(1):67-70.
18. Huang H, Sun M, Li X, Jin J. Urothelial carcinoma of the bladder in patients aged 30 years or younger: clinicopathological analysis and expression of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 (FGFR3) of 45 cases. Med Oncol. 2015 May;32(5):137.
19 Samaratunga H, Makarov DV, Epstein JI. Comparison of WHO/ISUP and WHO classification of noninvasive papillary urothelial neoplasms for risk of progression. Urology. 2002 Aug;60(2):315-9
20. Montironi R, Mazzucchelli R, Scarpelli M, Lopez-Beltran A, Cheng L. Morphological diagnosis of urothelial neoplasms. J Clin Pathol. 2008 Jan;61(1):3-10.
21. Zeegers MP, Goldbohm RA, van den Brandt PA. A prospective study on active and environmental tobacco smoking and bladder cancer risk (The Netherlands). Cancer Causes Control. 2002 Feb;13(1):83-90.
22. Javadpour N, Mostofi FK. Primary epithelial tumors of the bladder in the first two decades of life. J Urol. 1969 May;101(5):706-10
23. Fitzpatrick JM, Reda M. Bladder carcinoma in patients 40 years old or less. J Urol. 1986 Jan;135(1):53-4
24. Telli O, Sarici H, Ozgur BC, Doluoglu OG, Sunay MM, Bozkurt S, Eroglu M. Urothelial cancer of bladder in young versus older adults: Clinical and pathological characteristics and outcomes. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2014 Sep;30(9):466-70.