Main Article Content
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Basaria S, Wahlstrom JT, Dobs AS. Anabolic-androgenic steroid therapy in the treatment of chronic diseases. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2001;86(11):5108-5117.
3. Boone Jr, JB, Lambert, CP, Flynn, MG, et al. Resistance exercise effects on plasma cortisol, testosterone and creatine kinase activity in anabolic-androgenic steroid users. International Sports Medicine. 1990; 11:4, 293-7.
4. Brower, KJ, Eilopulos, GA, Blow, FC, et al. Evidence for physical and psychological dependence on anabolic-androgenic steroids in eight weightlifters. American Journal of Psychiatry. 1990; 147:4. 510-2.
5. Casner, SJ, Early, RG, Carlson, BR. Anabolic steroids effects on body composition in normal young men. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness. 1971; 11:2, 98-103.
6. Fitch, K. Androgenic-anabolic steroids and the olympic games. Asian Journal of Andrology 2008; 10 (3):384–390.
7. Gold, J, High, HA, Li, Y, et al. Safety and efficacy of nandrolone decanoate for treatment of wasting in patients with HIV infection. AIDS. 1996; 10:7, 745-52.
8. Golestani R, Slart RH, Dullaart RP, et al. Adverse cardiovascular effects of anabolic steroids: Pathophysiology imaging. Eur J Clin Invest. 2012;42(7):795-803.
9. Hartgens, F, Kuipers, H, Wignen, J, et al. Body composition cardiovascular risk factors in long term androgenic-anabolic steroids using bodybuilders three months after drug withdraw. International Journal of Sports Medicine. 1996; 17:6, 429-33.
10. Hartgens, F, Van Straaten, H, Fideldij, S, et al. Misuse of androgenic-anabolic steroids and human deltoid muscle fibers: differences between polydrug regimens and single drug administration. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2002; 86:3, 233-9.
11. Hartgens, F., & Kuipers, H. (2004). Effects of androgenic-anabolic steroids in athletesEffects of androgenic anabolic steroids in athletes. Sports Medicine, 34:8, 513-554.
12. Kadi, F, Eriksson, A, Holmner, S, et al. Cellular adaptation of the trapezius muscle in strength-trained athletes. Histochemical Cellular Biology. 1999; 111:3, 189-95.
13. Kadi, F, Eriksson, A, Holmner, S, et al. Effects of anabolic steroids on the muscle cells of strength-trained athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1999; 31:11, 1528-34.
14. Kicman, A. T. (2008). Pharmacology of anabolic steroids. British journal of pharmacology, 154:3 502-521
15. Kilshaw, BH, Harkness, RA, Hobson, BM, et al. The effects of large doses of anabolic steroid, methandrostenolone, on an athlete. Clinical Endocrinology. Oxford, 1975; 4:5, 537-41.
16. Kuipers, H, Wijnen, JAG, Hartgens, F, et al. Influence of anabolic steroids on body composition, blood pressure, lipid profile and liver function in bodybuilders. International Journal of Sports Medicine. 1991; 12:4, 413-8.
17. Kuipers, H, Peeze, BF, Hargens, F, et al. Muscle ultrastructure after strength training with placebo or anabolic steroid. Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology. 1993; 18:2, 189-96. Plum F, Posner JB. The Diagnosis of Stupor and Coma, 3rd edition. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 1980:123â“33.
18. Maior, A. S., Carvalho, A. R., Marques-Neto, S. R., Menezes, P., Soares, P. P. and Nascimento, J. H. M. (2013), Cardiac autonomic dysfunction in anabolic steroid users. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 23: 548–555. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2011.01436.x
19. Mottram, D. R. Drugs in Sport, (5th ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. 2011.
20. Nnakwe, N. Anabolic Steroids and cardiovascular risk in athletes. Nutrition Today. 1996; 31:5, 206-8.
21. Soe, KL, Soe, M, Gluud, C. Liver pathology associated with use of anabolic-androgenic steroids. Liver. 1992; 12:2, 73-9.
22. Schwingel PA, Cotrim HP, Salles BR, et al. Anabolic‐androgenic steroids: A possible new risk factor of toxicant‐associated fatty liver disease. Liver International. 2011;31(3):348-353.
23. Torres-Calleja, J, Gonzalez-Unzaga, M, DeCelis-Carrillo, R, et al. Effect of androgenic-anabolic steroids on sperm quality and serum hormone levels in adult male bodybuilders. Life Science. 2001; 68:15, 1769-74.
24. Van Amsterdam J, Opperhuizen A, Hartgens F. Adverse health effects of anabolic–androgenic steroids. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. 2010;57(1):117-123. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2010.02.001.
25. Yesalis, CE, Herrick, RT, Buckley, RT, et al. Self-reported use of anabolic-androgenic steroids by elite power lifters. Phys. Sportsmed. 1988; 16:12, 90-100.
26. Yesalis, CE, Courson, SP, Wright, JE. History of anabolic steroids use in sport and exercise. In: Yesalis C, editor. Anabolic steroids in sports and exercise. 2nd ed. Champaign (IL); Human Kinetics, 2000 .
27. Yu J, Bonnerud P, Eriksson A, Stål PS, Tegner Y, Malm C. Effects of long term supplementation of anabolic androgen steroids on human skeletal muscle. PloS one. 2014;9(9):e105330.