Main Article Content
A new organization, Americas Association of Sarcoidosis and Other Granulomatous Disorders (AASOG), had its inaugural meeting recently (April 7-8, 2017) in central Pennsylvania. As the provider of an overview of Sarcoidosis, this was an opportunity to review and feature some of the area’s local medical and research interests that have been important in attempting to understand and manage patients with this illness. This introductory commentary features area investigators and clinicians who have been helpful in elucidating the pathophysiology and management of this illness.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Moeller, D.R. Systemic Sarcoidosis (Chapter 69) in Fishman’s Pulmonary Diseases and Disorders, 3rd Edition (1998), Volume 1: 1055-1068, McGraw- Hill Companies, New York.
3. Baruj Benacerraf, from Wikipedia Encyclopedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baruj_Benacerraf in November 2016, and from Les Prix Nobel, 1980, Wilhelm Odelberg, Editor; Nobel Foundation, Stockholm, Sweden, 1981.
4. Willerson, J.T. Baruj Benacerraf: In Memorian (editorial) Texas Heart In-stitute Journal, 39(#3): 315-316, 2012.
5. Ikeda S, Yanai N, Ishikawa S. Flexi-ble Bronchofiberscope. Keio J Med 17: 1-16, 1968.
6. Reynolds, HY and Newball, HH: Analysis of proteins and respiratory cells obtained from human lungs by bronchial lavage. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 84:559-573, 1974.
7. Kazmierowski, JA, Fauci, AS and Reynolds, HY: Characterization of lymphocytes in bronchial lavage fluid from monkeys. J. Immunol. 116:615-618, 1976.
8. Reynolds, HY: Sampling local respir-atory tract sites for inflammation. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 18:138-148, 2001.
9. Reynolds, H.Y. Bronchoalveolar Lav-age and other Methods to Define the Human Respiratory Tract Milieu in Health and Disease. Lung 189:87-99, 2011.
10. Kazmierowski, JA, Gallin, JI and Reynolds, HY: Mechanism for the in-flammatory response in primate lungs: demonstration and partial characteriza-tion of an alveolar macrophage-derived chemotactic factor with preferential activity for polymorpho-nuclear leukocytes. J. Clin. Invest. 59:273-281, 1977.
11. Weinberger, SE, Kelman, JA, Elson, NA, Young RC,Jr, Reynolds, HY, Fulmer, JD and Crystal, RG: Broncho-alevolar lavage in interstitial lung dis-ease. Ann. Int. Med. 89:459-466, 1978.
12. Reynolds, HY, Fulmer, JD, Kazmierowski, JA, Roberts, WC, Frank MM and Crystal, RG: Analysis of cellular and protein content of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from pa-tients with idiopathic pulmonary fibro-sis and chronic hypersensitivity pneu-monitis. J. Clin. Invest. 59:165-175, 1977.
13. Crystal, RG, Roberts WC, Hunninghake GW, Gadek JE, Fulmer JD, Line BR. Pulmonary sarcoidosis: a disease characterized and perpetuat-ed by activated lung T-lymphocytes. Ann Intern Med 94:73-94, 1981.
14. Yeager H, Williams MC, Beekman JF, Bayly TC, Beamon BL, Hawley RJ. Sarcoidosis: analysis of cells obtained by bronchial lavage. Am Rev Respir Dis 116:951-955, 1977.
15. Reynolds, HY: The importance of lymphocytes in pulmonary health and disease. Lung 155:225-242, 1978.
16. Gee, JBL, Bodel, PT, Hinman, LM, Stevens, CA, Matthay, RA, Reynolds, HY: Mononuclear phagocytes in Sarcoidosis: Lysozyme and angiotensin I converting enzyme, Sarcoidosis and other Granulomatous Diseases (eds. WJ. Williams and BH. Davies) Alpha Omega Publ. Ltd. Cardiff, U.K., pp. 417-425, 1980.
17. Mellinkoff SM. Memorial: Carol Johnson Jones (1923-2000), Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc 112:65-66, 2001.
18. Johns CJ and Michele TM. The Clini-cal Management of Sarcoidosis. A 50-year experience at the Johns Hopkins Hospital; Medicine, 78:65-111, 1999.
19. Bascom R. and Johns C.J. The Natural History and Management of Sarcoido-sis. Adv Intern Med. 31:213-241,1986.
20. Reynolds, HY: Sarcoidosis - impact of other illnesses on the presentation and management of multi-organ disease. Lung, 180:281-299, 2002.
21. Saxon, W. Harold Israel, 87, Specialist Focusing on Chest Diseases. NY Times, November 26, 1996: http://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/26/us/harold-israel-87-specialist-focusing-on-chest-diseases.html.
22. Israel H (1979) Sarcoidosis. In: Sim-mons DH (ed) Current Pulmonology, vol. 1, Houghton Mifflin (Boston): 163-182.
23. Reynolds, WS and Chorney, MJ. Re-search topic: Interleukin 4 Receptor Alpha Genetic Variation and Suscepti-bility to Sarcoidosis, not published (2003).
24. Reynolds, HY: Pulmonary Sarcoido-sis: Do Cellular and Immunochemical Lung Parameters Exist That Would Separate Subgroups of Patients for Prognosis? Sarcoidosis, 6: l-4, 1989.
25. Celada, L.J., Hawkins, C., Drake, W.P. The Etiologic Role of Infectious Anti-gens in Sarcoidosis. Clin Chest Med 36:561-568, 2015.
26. Wood W. Sarcoidosis Research and Patient Care Focus of Newly Created Center. Vanderbilt University Medical Center Reporter (https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2016/11/17/sarcoidosis-research-patient-care-focus-of-newly-created-center/), No-vember 17, 2016.
27. Löfgren, S. Primary Pulmonary Saco-idosis. Acta Med Scand 145:424-431, 1953.
28. James, D.G. In Memorial: Sven Löfgren (1910-1978). Sarcoidosis 5:77-78, 1988.
29. Grunewald, J. and Eklund, A. Löf-gren’s Syndrome: Human Leukoeyte Antigen Strongly Influences the Dis-ease Course. Am J Repir Crit Care Med, 179:307-312, 2008.
30. Levin, A.M., Datta, A. Iannuzzi, M.C., et al. Association of HLA-DRB one with Sarcoidosis Suspectibility and Progression in African Americans. Am J Respir Cell Mol Bil 53:206-216, 2015.
31. Millar, A. Two Faces of Sarcoidosis – A Genetic Insight? Am J Respir Crit Care Med 193:942-943, 2016.
32. Rivera N.V., Ronninger M., Shchetynsky K., et al. Higher Density Genetic Mapping Identifies New Sus-ceptibility Variants in Sarcoidosis Phenotypes and Shows Genomic-driven Phenotypic Differences. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 193:1008-1022, 2016.
33. Sharma S. Cardiac Imaging in Myo-cardial Sarcoidosis and other Cardio-mypathies. Curr Opin Pulm Med 15:507-512, 2009.
34. Ayyala US, Nair AP, Padilla ML. Cardiac Sarcoidosis. Clin Chest Med 29(3):493-508, 2008.
35. Martusewicz-Boros, MM, Boros, PW, Wiatne, et al. Cardiac Sarcoidosis: Is It More Common in Men? Lung. 194:61-66, 2016.
36. Robert Hamilton Memorial for Sarcoidosis Research, Penn State. http://www.pennstatehershey.org/web/heartandvascular/community/robhamilton