Main Article Content
The aim of this study was to examine the inauguration of single-port laparoscopic appendectomy (SILA) for un-complicated appendicitis and demonstrate its efficacy and safety.
Thirty-two patients who underwent single-port laparoscopic appendectomy between January 2014 and December 2014 were compared retrospectively with 20 prior consecutive patients who underwent surgery in the three-port manner. Length of hospital stay, operative time, conversion rate, and complications were used as the indicators of effective implementation.
Demographics were similar between the single-port and three-port groups. In the SILA series, operative duration was unchanged after the first 10 cases. An operative duration less than that of the conventional three-port method could be achieved after 30 cases
Single-port laparoscopic appendectomy is a safe and feasible procedure. The learning curve could be overcome safely without major complications. Our preliminary analysis showed that 30 cases are sufficient to achieve an equivalent operative duration compared with conventional three-port laparoscopic appendectomy.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Addiss DG, Shaffer N, Fowler BS et al .The epidemiology of appendicitis and appendectomy in the United States. Am J Epidemiol 1990; 132:910–925
3. Wei HB, Huang JL, Zheng ZH et al. Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy a prospective randomized comparison. Surg Endosc 2010; 24:266 –269
4. Luj ́anJA, Robles R, Parrilla P et al. Laparoscopic versus open appendicectomy a prospective assessment. Br J Surg 1994; 81:133 –135
5. Kehagias I, Karamanakos SN, Panagiotopoulos S et al. Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy: which way to go?World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14:4909–4914
6. Katsuno G, Nagakari K, Yoshikawa S et al. Laparoscopic appendectomy for complicated appendicitis: a comparison with open appendectomy. World J Surg 2009; 33:208–214
7. Ignacio RC, Burke R, Spencer D et al. Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy: what is the real difference? Results of a prospective randomized double-blinded trial. Surg Endosc 2004; 18:334–337
8. Prasad A. Single incision laparoscopic surgery. World J Gastroenterol 2010; 16:2705 -2706
9. Lee JA, Sung KY, Lee JH, et al. Laparoscopic appendectomy with a single incision in a single institute. J Korean Soc Coloproctol 2010 ;26:260–264
10. Kang KC, Lee SY, Kang DB et al. Application of single incision laparoscopic surgery for appendectomies in patients with complicated appendicitis. J Korean Soc Coloproctol 2010; 26:388–394
11. Udwadia TE. Single-incision laparoscopic surgery: anoverview. J Minim Access Surg 2011; 7:1–2
12. Rao PP, Bhagwat. S Single-incision laparoscopic surgery-current status and controversies. J Minim AccessSurg 2011;7:6–16
13. Kye BH, Lee J, Kim W et al. Comparative study between single-incision and three-port laparoscopic appendectomy: a prospective randomized trial. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2013 23:431
14. Li X, Zhang J, Sang L, et al. Laparoscopic versus conventional appendectomy—A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMC Gastoenterol 2010;10:129
15. Liao Y, Lin T, Lee P, Chou T, Liang J, Lin M. Learning curve of single-port laparoscopic appendectomy for noncomplicated acute appendicitis: a preliminary analysis compared with conventional laparoscopic appendectomy. Journal Of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques. Part A [serial online]. May 2013;23(5):441-446.
16. Rehman H, Mathews T, Ahmed I. A review of minimally invasive single-port/incision laparoscopic appendectomy. Journal Of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques. Part A [serial online]. September 2012;22(7):641-646.
17. Park J, Kwak H, Kim S, Lee S. Single-port laparoscopic appendectomy: comparison with conventional laparoscopic appendectomy. Journal Of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques. Part A [serial online]. March 2012;22(2):142-145.
18. Kim H, Lee J, Oh S, et al. Single-port transumbilical laparoscopic appendectomy: 43 consecutive cases. Surgical Endoscopy [serial online]. November 2010;24(11):2765-2769.
19. Teoh A, Chiu P, Wong T, Wong S, Lai P, Ng E. A case-controlled comparison of single-site access versus conventional three-port laparoscopic appendectomy. Surgical Endoscopy [serial online]. May 2011;25(5):1415-1419.
20. Raakow R, Jacob D. Initial experience in laparoscopic single-port appendectomy: a pilot study. Digestive Surgery [serial online]. 2011;28(1):74-79.
21. Frutos MD, Abrisqueta J, Lujan J et al (2013) Randomized prospective study to compare laparoscopic appendectomy versus umbilical single-incision appendectomy. Ann Surg 257(3):413
22. Sozutek A, Colak T, Dirlik M et al (2013) A prospective randomized comparison of single-port laparoscopic procedure with open and standard 3-port laparoscopic procedures in the treatment of acute appendicitis. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 23(1):74
23. Lee WS, Choi ST, Lee JN et al (2013) Single-port laparoscopic appendectomy versus conventional laparoscopic appendectomy: a prospective randomized controlled study. Ann Surg 257(2):214
24. Teoh AY, Chiu PW, Wong TC et al (2012) A double-blinded randomized controlled trial of laparoendoscopic single-site access versus conventional 3 port appendectomy. AnnSurg256(6):90
25. Knott EM, Gasior AC, Holcomb GW 3rd et al (2012) Impact ofbody habitus on single-site laparoscopic appendectomy for nonperforated appendicitis: subset analysis from prospective, randomized trial. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 22(4):404–407
26. Perez EA, Piper H, Burkhalter LS et al (2013) Single-incision laparoscopic surgery in children: a randomized control trial of acute appendicitis. Surg Endosc 27(4):1367–1371
27. St Peter SD, Adibe OO, Juang D et al (2011) Single incision versus standard 3-port laparoscopic appendectomy: a prospective randomized trial. Ann Surg 254(4):586–590
28. Elemen L, Yazir Y, Tugay M et al. LigaSure compared with ligatures and endoclips in experimental appendectomy: how safe is it? Pediatr Surg Int 2010 May 26(5):539–545